Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cooking with Hops: A Hops Shoot Frittata

(Note:  I am not a chef.  I love reading recipes and coming up with my own. I cook what I know my family will eat!  I also eyeball everything…  exact measurements aren’t my forte.  And I use what I have.  Oftentimes I look in my fridge and throw something together or substitute ingredients because I don’t have what a recipe calls for.  As a result, my meals always come out a little different each time I make them! Please let me know what you think…  if I need to add or take away!  I’m learning too!!)
Fun Fact:  Did you know that hops are one of the most expensive vegetables in the world?  And I got 10 different varieties growing in my backyard!!!! (Yea, for me!) 
Recently I came across an article that explained that you can eat hop shoots.  So I thought, why not?  The stems themselves are described in the same way as asparagus and have even being mentioned by Pliny that they were eaten during the height of Roman reign.  So I've decided to saute them in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and add them to a frittata. If you are interested in actually using the hop flower (what is used in beer) experts say to use them as a seasoning, where you would traditionally use rosemary, thyme, oregano and marjoram.  
Saute instructions:
1) Trim leaves off of stems.  (Apparently you can cook with them too, but I'm leaving them out of this one!)
2) Saute you stems in Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt and Pepper
3) Add them to your frittata or egg dish.

And the verdict is:

  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...